Love Remains / Mothers day post

It's there, deep inside our hearts, all of us have it. These things going around in our minds, trying to figure out how to express them, show them, or let others feel them. How do we in human fashion communicate our gratitude and emotions to each other? 

It's been a little more real to our family and extended family as we watch Grandma and her battle with Dementia. I'm not sure actually if it is a battle, it's just there, taking the life away from her. And by life I mean, the ability to speak, write, cook, dress, and pretty much every other common daily task.



She senses it too, inside her, and that is what's hardest, to see her not able to do the things she's able or communicate what she knows in her but can't get it passed her lips. And the emotion that comes with it as she sets on the couch with tears spilling down her face, kleenex in hand, fully knowing she can't do these things anymore. Or the aggravation that arises in her when she knows she needs something and she can't get the words out. 


It's beautiful too in a way, to see the most simple things that bring her joy, put a smile on her face, and force laughter from her lungs. To see us grandchildren walk into the house and watching her face light up. Hearing the laughter bubble out of her from seeing one little pea that fell off a spoon and roll across the table in front of her while we were having diner with the family. When she see's and old friend walking down main street and she just has to stop and say hi. And when we take the time to still engage her in a conversation knowing that we can't understand a single thing she'll reply to us.  


It takes an incredible amount of patience to help someone in this type of situation. When they always want to be helpful, to want to be needed, and when they think they can do it by themselves. And you explain over and over again to put the cookies into the container from the cooling rack. After about 15 minutes of watching her rearrange them, stack them, and try to remember the cookies go in and not out, she finishes. 
This kind of patience I have found lacking in my life, but wanting to be that person, as I observe and watch my mom and her siblings take care of their dear mother with a genuine love that has been passed down through Grandma's life. 



So, I'm not exactly sure what prompted this post, because as you can see I haven't written anything for quite some time, but for some reason I had this nudging inside of me to write something about this. But with Mothers Day approaching I thought it felt appropriate for a post like this. Maybe just to document this for myself, to not forget the genuine love that's in Grandma's hands, even though she may not realize it anymore. And all the times spent at Grandma's house, helping her bake cookies, reading the Berenstain Bears books over and over, and how she would gently bring the skittle jar down from the top of the fridge for us, and the many sleep overs when Grandpa was gone trucking.


Now I feel like this is a Grandma post rather than a mothers day post. But all in all its kind of the same thing I suppose. Because I don't think I take enough time to appreciate the simple things that have been passed down from one mother to another. And all the little things they do for us. For all the love poured into our lives when sometimes we don't even notice or perhaps care to notice.

> Because we are living proof that Love Remains < 

We all know it, that we fall so short in telling our mothers how grateful, thankful, appreciative, and blessed we are for having them in our lives. And taking one day out of the year so express ourselves to them, it not enough, never will it be enough. 
So tell them, show them, do it while you still have the chance to tell them how much you love and appreciate them. 


I for one can't even begin to imagine how my life would be with out my mother, 2nd mom's(you know who you are:)), mentors, and the many Godly woman who have been examples to me in so many ways. I'd be worse than a lost cause. I don't think I could thank Father God ever enough for placing such wonderful woman in my life. So know, probably most of you reading this, that I am so blessed by you and your investment in my life. You inspire me to be the person I want to be. A woman after God's own heart. And I pray that I would be able to continue passing this legacy on, a woman worthy of having a "mothers day" in what ever shape or form this may be.

And thank you most of all to my dear mother for your never ending love and support you always give me. Your example of godliness and commitment is worth so much, you'll never know. 
I love you more than words.


To all mothers everywhere, thank you and happy mothers day! :) 




Comments

  1. So GLAD you wrote again Leigha, I had given up checking and just today clicked on your blog. LOVED your insight and obvious love you have for your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! Yes, I have been a major slacker in blogging. But I just returned home from Africa, so I have a couple more post now too. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Back in Kansas | week 1

Tribute to Richard