Journeys

If you would have told me 2 years ago what I'm about to write would happen to me, I probably would have thought it sounded like a dream, that it couldn't be me, and you were talking about another person. Things like this just don't cross our minds every day and I thought you kind of had to be this cookie cutter person to be used for purposes such as this.  

Turns out, God does have a special cookie cutter for me. As He does for all people who call on His Name. 

Perhaps though, I'm not fully cut yet. Right now He's still making the dough, adding a little this and a little that. Stirring everything around, mixing all the hard and soft together so it come out just the way He wants it. Its all about the process. 

Oh the things I've have learned and continue to learn in this process. And I praise Him because I'm not finished yet. The things I have learned on this journey I pray can be an encouragement to those who read, but mostly I'm writing this to remind myself. To reflect on His goodness and grace. To not forget. 

It's hard to know just where to start because there is so many small details over the past few years that have greatly impacted my life today. All those things you wonder, really? Why this? What does this have to do with anything? Though I'll try to keep this simple and to the point. 

For those who don't know, God has led me to serve in Africa. Uganda specifically, for a period of time. I have committed for 6 months, beginning the first part of August, but its certainly indefinite, and we'll see how He continues to reveal His plan. 
{The mighty Nile, just a couple mile walk from where I will be living}

I've always had this idea or feeling you might call it, that someday I would serve on the mission field. What that looked like and where it would be I had no idea. I've been very privileged to be able to go on a number of short term mission trips, and through those this desire and longing to interact with and work along side those in third world countries grew all the more. And so I began to pursue different missions and thought God was maybe leading me to several different ones. But never did anything unfold with them. I kind of wondered why, but I didn't question it to much, because at this point I would have been only about 20 years old. Not that I'm much older now, but I've certainly learned a lot in the past several years. ;)  But the idea of Africa always had my attention and has always been my dream or goal in life to be able to go or have some connections with any country, really, in Africa. My dad and I would often talk and dream about going sometime, but after a while it just kind of dropped. 
Well a little over 2 years ago, I started sponsoring a precious little girl in Uganda. I had been thinking  about sponsoring a child for a while, but didn't know what organization to go through or how the process worked. Long story short I began sponsoring a child through Lifesong for Orphans which is partnered with an organization in Uganda called Global Hands of Hope. Soon as I committed to sponsoring a child I had this wave sweep through me that said this is going to be way bigger than just sponsoring a child. It left me spinning and wondering what in the word would come out of this simple act. And that was always in the back of my head like what was that all about and is something really going to come about with sponsoring a child. 
During this time of when I started sponsoring, there was a span of about 6 months where I was really wrestling with God about what He wanted to do with my life. Because I didn't know what the future held (I still don't) and I knew that if I submitted that to Him, something was going to happen. And it scared me. I still prayed, but I would just leave out the part "God use me in whatever way You see fit". Because when we pray God works, and its our duty to rely and submit to His will and guiding. It a hard thing to do, I know. But let me tell you it is worth it 1000 times over. He walks us through and never leaves our side. And He will never ask something of us where His grace will not be. So finally I had to let myself out and let God work His work, and when I did that, 3 different things happened concerning things in Africa. I received a message from Ritah the co-founder of the mission in Uganda that I sponsor my child through, and that started one amazing relationship. We talked of the farm project they had at GHoH and one conversation led to the next and we began skyping and then have so blessed to host the founders/director of GHoH at our home. And then I was able to go with my dad and some dear friends to Uganda last August and finally see Africa for myself. Quite a life changing trip indeed. While being there, the thought came to me I wonder if maybe God had plans for future trips here or a to serve here for a longer period of time. I'll be honest, it felt so comfortable being there, the friendships we made were instant and have grown to this day. I felt something there, like I've never felt anywhere else before. (you can read more about my experience in August here)


To be completely honest with you, I don't even think I have the words in my vocabulary to explain what I felt in my soul while being there. Even still now the emotions I feel within me overwhelm me when I think of this place and the people. 
So when I was there and thinking that maybe God might have future plans for me here, I was doing my morning devotions one day and while reading through the book of Habakkuk the first 3 verses in chapter 2 just jumped out at me. I couldn't quite register what it all meant at the time but I knew they meant something and that I shouldn't forget them. It talks about Habakkuk waiting for a message from God, and so he was waiting and watching diligently. The Lord gave him a message and I'm not sure if it was what he thought the Lord was going to say. He didn't give him a direct answer but tells him to continue waiting and that the time is not yet but it going to come and you will know when that time is and it will not tarry. And while your waiting, write out the vision plainly and understandably so you know for sure what's going to happen and then I will tell you when to proceed. And in reading that I was really just trying to grasp if God was speaking to me and telling me that this is the "vision" (just being here and to continue serving in Uganda) and I will tell you when your ready to move forward. Or was I just going off of feelings and thoughts and different things I was telling myself? 
These thoughts and feelings continued long after we returned home the beginning of September and was really starting to eat on me. All things Africa related basically just consumed my thoughts and looking back I don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. Sometimes I wonder if God was preparing my heart (even though I had no idea I'd be going back over, at this point) and growing this desire and love in my heart of Uganda and the work at GHoH. Around Christmas time, it got a little better, because there was less time to think about it and time with family and friends kept my mind off of it. but January came and the idea of just being there hit me like an elephant. It really worked on me and the idea of going for an extended period of time kept bugging me and coming up in conversation. You'd think I'd learn by now, but I finally took it to the Father and asked Him to help me stop thinking about Uganda and the idea of going back so I could just get on with life, or let me know if it was from His Spirit and that He would continue to open doors and reveal to me what I was supposed to do about my situation. January was an interesting month, lots of prayer and learning.

Every time I prayed about this the feelings to go became overwhelmingly clear that I would probably be going back. I had talked about this with mentors and accountability partners -who ironically didn't seem surprised at my situation but assured me that they would be praying for direction in my life. What a blessing a comfort to have people in your life like these! I had also been thinking a lot about opportunities during these weeks and how we're supposed to make the most of the opportunities God places within our path to have His name be glorified. And for me to have an opportunity such as this to have connections and relationships in another part of the world and not jump on it would seem to be a waste. Of course I didn't want to go if God wasn't going before me. But doors seemed to be opening. And along the lines of opportunities I had recently listened to some speakers and had asked some mentors the question "what is something you wish you would have done earlier or when you were younger or had the chance to do and passed it by?" And the answer was pretty much all the same. They wished they would have been braver, stronger, and took the chance to step out in faith. And I had to think, I don't want to be 45 years old and look back and say I wish I would have done this or that and taken the opportunities to serve God and step out in faith. Now I'm sure there will those things that I will reflect on when I get to that age, but I know for certain that if I pass by this opportunity to serve my God on the red dirt that I would regret not following His leading. 
I kept praying and seeking God guidance but I was pretty sure He was leading me to Uganda. And I when I prayed about it, these verses from Habakkuk kept coming back to me. I had almost forgot what they said but I kept feeling this nudge to go back and reread them. So I did, and it became very clear that this was my appointed time to move forward. I had went, waiting for God to tell me His plan, I "wrote the vision" - told people about it, and when God was ready to move He showed me. And now if I didn't have these verses and God Word and Spirit to fall back on in this whole process it would have been very difficult for me to determine what voices I was hearing in my head.  But having the reassurance to fall back onto His Word gives me great peace and comfort. Before I completely committed though, I emailed Ronnie, the founder & director of GHoH, who has become a very close friend, mentor, and father-like figure in my life. I told him how I felt God leading me to Bukeka and asked him what he thought, if this was even the right time, if I would have projects to do, or if I was even needed. He replied very quickly and said absolutely! There is much for you to do and it would be an answer to prayers. Well that basically 'sealed the deal' so to speak, for me. Just another reassurance.
It has been an emotional roller coaster the past couple months to say the least the least. But God, He is so faithful!

 {No, there are no washing machines in Uganda}

So you're probably wondering what I might be doing, where I'm going to live, how am I going to support myself...etc.

There are a number of projects I will be assisting with and doing.
1. Help serve with the safe house as a mentor.
2. Teach music at the school
3. Continue to support the efforts of GHoH to establish a dairy farm, which includes visiting various local farms and possible farm sites to inform the strategies to help achieve this goal.
4. Help with the children's church
5. Support the sponsorship department in child care management.

GHoH has a guest house just under a 2 mile walk from the campus and that is where I will be staying.

Lifesong for Orphans is the overhead supporter for Global Hands of Hope and I will be raising all my funds through their guidance. If you would like to support my mission please visit the link below and it will take you to the Lifesong "mystory page" and donate or make a check payable to 'Lifesong for Orphans, and mail to PO Box 40, Gridley, IL 61744' - in the memo please write “Leigha Rokey Act# 98052 GHOH". This will help cover my daily living expenses and projects. 

So there you have it. A small snippet of Gods work in one of His vessels. Being shaped and molded for His specific cookie cutter He wants me to be. It is still a couple months off yet, and lots of preparations to be made, but I pray Gods Name would be made known and that His river of life giving water would flow throw me and somehow be a testimony to someone. 
I would also ask for continued prayers and accountability as I begin this journey.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to Richard

Back in Kansas | week 1

Changes