Public transportation in Uganda


The other day I was talking to a friend and was explaining to her the experiences of taking public transportation in Uganda. I hadn't realized that it was such a funny thing until I was telling what it's all about that I found myself laughing so hard I couldn't finish my stories. So I figured I would try and give you all the experience through words. I have included a few pictures of a taxi van to give you an idea what they look like and the size. They are usually a small Toyota 12 passenger van. You have the driver and then you have the guy (I forget what they call them) who finds the passengers, keeps track where they need to go, collects the fees, and opens and shuts the door. 

Then you have the passengers. All 20 of them. Ok that might be a slight exaggeration, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens. Yes, you never know how many grown adults can fit into small spaces until you try. Plus all your belongings, which you hold, set on your feet, fit under the seat, or strap on top of the taxi. I have seen all sorts of things being towed or strapped on top of a taxi. Sometimes you just do what you gotta do. But I tell you, most the time you just never know if you should laugh or cry whilst transporting yourself in a taxi. Mostly its amusing. As apparently my last experience was. 

Note: this is not something to try if you get claustrophobic, are a germaphobe, if you need your personal space,  or if you're a non-adventurer. 


Also note that 99% of these taxis are old and rarely serviced so most blow black smoke & fumes and smell pretty awful. 


Anyways I'll get to my story. Here I was going to Jinga and back with Hammy (I probably wouldn't go myself). We were going to pick up some bean seeds to plant, but actually never ended up getting them so instead we went to the market and bought 50lb of produce and hauled it around town till we tracked down a taxi that was coming back passing through Bukeka. We found one and I quickly noticed that it was the oldest looking taxi I'd seen yet but you take what you can get. So we sit there in the blazing hot taxi waiting for it to get crammed full of people so we can go, because what's the point to going some place if you don't have enough people. Anyways we set off and when you think you can't fit another person there somehow becomes a way. Even though Jinga is 12 miles away making it 1 way in 30 min would be fast. Ok, back to my story, well here we were smoking hot, bouncing along the highway, I'm not even kidding, this poor taxi jiggled like it was gonna fall apart any minute. I wondered if maybe my shoes were gonna melt because it was so hot under foot. I think the engine must be under the drivers seat or something. As we struggled to make it up the hills at a very slow pace the drive kept pounding the steering wheel as to give the van a little encouragement to keep going. He would toot his horn and wave his hand out the window to signal people to go around us. You kind just do your own thing while riding. ...There are always those 3 people who have the loudest conversations on their phones and like who cares if 18 other people hear your conversation. Then there was also the poor lady who was stuff between a couple guys and must have been getting a little to warm so she decided to take off her sweater. It was a whole chore for her. I mean the poor woman had zero space. Well we all have no space. But she was having a real struggle. Then she was making the guy have a whole struggle because her elbows were flailing clear over to his other side until he had enough because he was trying to read something on his phone. So he took his liberty to tap her and get her attention then he pointed to his phone and tried to explain I'm busy reading this and you're directly in my way. Anyway things settled down. 
My seat was also less than comfortable. When you have 5 to 6 people per row you kinda just squeeze in where ever. So I was half on one and half on another and one of them the back was broken and just kind of flopped in the back. So sitting that that sort or position for a while kinda makes a person stiff. Anyway it makes one feel really grateful for a car of your own, and being able to get somewhere quick and not make 101 stops along the way. But its usually a whole adventure and you hear and learn all sorts of things. Some interesting and some you wish you never wished to have seen. 
That's about it for my most recent experience, each time there's something new and exciting! One thing that you would want to keep on hand is a bottle of germX or antibacterial wipes. 


I have yet to see a taxi that is not decorated with some kind of wording on the front or back windsheild. I'm begining to think its required if you're a taxi driver. They usually have something to do with Jesus or Allah. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Tribute to Richard

Back in Kansas | week 1