Going on week 28 | Uganda

Time is somehow passing very quickly and certain people would rather have me probably counting down the weeks or days till I'm on the plane home, rather than the number of weeks I'm still in Uganda. Its a fact that I'm having to face that feels like its all to soon. It seems very crazy that my time is almost up. It might be the most dreaded topic these days, and everyone knows it. 

Sometimes I forget all the things that happen here that might be or seem interesting, but for me here now they seem normal or less significant, and it's somehow hard to share whats been happening this side. (btw that was a very Ugandan way to write a sentence) Its funny how much you began to talk in the way that they speak english here. But today I was complimented on the way I speak to the children in a way that they can understand. So if I don't ever really learn Luganda more than I have, at least they can understand my english. I know most of the roads around and even have a "short cut" named after me, my name is known and shouted from most sides of the village, I have my favorite boda boda drivers, I know how to tell if a jackfruit is ready for picking, I can wash clothes by hand, I know how to peel and cook matooke, I've fetched water to bathe, lived with rats, and now have my very own gomesi. Like when did this all happen? It all seems so serial even to me and I don't want to forget any of it. 

School has begun again and the students are trickling in. It warms my heart to see all their smiling faces returning to school. I've missed them so. My Luganda vocabulary has expanded some since last term ended in December so when I start speaking to them in their language, it causes some fits of laughter. The drives to school are a little less quiet now when there's fewer kids yelling & shouting our names since they've all gone to school. We have a whole new group of little ones that have been added this year. The school yard is now full all kinds of new little faces! Yesterday I spent a bit a time giving the new little kids their uniforms. The school provides them with a school uniform, a casual wear, and sport outfit. Some came in shy and hesitant, some all smiles and stripping off their clothes to try on their new uniforms and some just cried. It going to be a rough couple of week for these new 3-5 year old as they adjust to their new place.  For the next couple weeks Haylie & I will be helping the teachers in their classrooms helping them teach some specific things.  

Last Friday night I had the great opportunity to attend an overnight at church. An overnight is literally spending the night at church for reason of praying and seeking the Father. It is a common thing, I think I can say, in Africa. Suubi church was wrapping up our 21 days of praying and fasting and so it ended with this overnight. We spent the night praying & crying our to God, singing & worshiping, reading the Word, and ended it with the elders & pastors praying over each attendee individually. Then we came back home at 6 a.m. and slept for some few hours.

If you remember the story about the Muzeeyi (respectful name for an older man), that I shared on my last post, he passed away last week. Several of the Suubi staff, the kids and I walked down and around the hill to pay our respects and attend the burial.  

Maize harvest also happened last week. Unfortunately it didn't amount to much this season. The rain has been to much these days and it ruined most of our crop. Thankfully we have lots of sweet potatoes that are nearly ready and cassava. Apparently the seasons have been changing and it has become quite a situation for the farmers in the area. Currently its supposed to be the "dry" season but its been raining everyday. And not just a small amount either! It was a little tricky driving to school today, but Buffy did her thing and we made it slowly but surely! So its been a bit tricky and confusing to know when to plant and harvest these days. According to the locals it rarely if ever rains in January or February.  

I'm sitting up in the library trying to focus on my writing and blog post but getting somewhat distracted in what I'm doing as I'm watching teacher Joseph (bka - Big man, to all that know him) with his P7 class read books and do research about certain things. This library is a wonderful place and the librarian has become a special friend to me so we always have what to talk about. Whether it be about baby Christian (her son), dreams, learning new handshakes, all my names I've been given, or books. The students love the library and it is an incredible resource GHOH is privileged to have. I think it might be the best library in the whole district! And I believe it can change Suubi school. The more these children are exposed to books, audio stories, and other interactive resources the whole village could be impacted actually. 


What you couldn't see is my arm holding my box on my head. But I act like I can do it anyway. 


'Spot it' is a big hit that the girls in the safe house like to play. 


Words become few when I try to explain how much this woman means to me. 
Except that I can tell you how cold she is always. ;) 
Gwe osiinga. 



Last week a couple ladies came and did a teachers training that we got in on a few days. Here they are learning some easy songs/rhymes that they will teach in there class to benefit their english and comprehension learning. 


Hammy and I took the girls down to the farm to gather several buckets of soil so we could transplant the sunflowers into bigger pots. I love getting these girls involved in all sorts of hands on projects that can have a learning experience.  



Sweet Peace, she is also on the worship team at Suubi church.


AND.....Ahhhh it was so so amazing to have us 3 all back together again! It short but sweet time to have Malerie with us. She also got a Ugandan name in very short order. Ayinza, is a whole lot easier for Ugandans to say than Malerie. She once again left her paintings on Suubi school buildings and we all got to take a break and spend an afternoon on the Nile. So blessed by these two sisters! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Back in Kansas | week 1

Tribute to Richard