Tribute to Richard

       I don't know if it was more of a honor to know such a man, work for him, or speak at his Rosary service, but people like Richard don't come around very often and I for one feel so blessed to be touched by his life. 

       We tend to say that Richard lost his battle with brain cancer, but what really happened is that he won. He gained the greatest victory on Monday, July 6th, 2020 and is now living the best life and I am so jealous. He was so ready to go and his last few weeks were such a testimony to me. Patiently and eagerly waiting to leave this earth and his physical pain. That's how I want to be. 







    
 I’ve been blessed to have many wonderful and incredible examples and mentors in my 25 years thus far, but out of all of them, Richard outweighs them all. He was a silent example in so many ways and I think I can say along with many other young people that even though Richard didn’t have any children of his own, he was like a father figure to so many of us. Not only did he show you and teach you many things, but he lived it out himself. He loved his farm and his cows but it wasn’t the money and success that made him happy. Richard loved relationships, he invested and was intentional, and these relationships brought him so much joy. Not only did he teach me more about raising dairy cows, running machinery, and how to do things easy and carefully on the farm, but what impacted me the most was how I observed him. In these observations his example taught me how to be a good neighbor, live a simple humble content life, love what you do, give everyone the benefit of the doubt, mind your own business, and give credit where credit is due. He always made time for others, and no matter how busy he was, he’d drop whatever he was doing when someone needed help. He was never in a hurry and yet things always seemed to turn out just fine. Rarely, if ever, did he get angry or worked up, and if he did, it was usually at a cow. He was dedicated. To his family, his farm, his friends, and his church. I think one of the biggest things was he taught me how to give. Richard was one of the most generous people I’ve met, and he did it without expecting anything in return. He gave of his time, he extended grace and mercy countless times, gave so many of us opportunities to start our own careers, and he gave finically. I remember whenever I’d go on a mission trip, Richard would always help support me in that. On the hot summer days during afternoon milking he’d swing by McDonald’s or Sonic just to bring out something cool and refreshing. I’m sure if we all added up what he spent paying for our meals when we’d eat out, we’d all be in debt forever. He was caring and compassionate. No matter if it was a small animal or a person he barely knew. He suffered when you suffered. And he brought joy, so much joy. He was always happy and you knew you could always leave in a better mood after talking to him. His laughter was contagious and he always made you feel special and loved.

Richard didn’t talk about his Creator much, but he had such a peace about him that his relationship with the Almighty God was hard to miss. If there was someone I could liken him to, it would be a man in the Bible talked about in Acts chapter 10 who’s name was Cornelius. One who had a good reputation in his town and among all who knew him, and who God had remembered for his generous giving. And while I was reading through this, Richard immediately came to my mind, and I had to think how much he was like this man. Because Richard was a friend to all who knew him, was loved by his whole town, and gave more than we will ever know. And I am confidant that God has remember him for it.

He was a person that was a joy just to work for. He had an atmosphere about him that just made you want to serve and work for him. You felt privileged. Never did I wish I didn’t have to go to work or that I didn’t have a job on his farm. He probably would say he was the lucky one, to have people helping him do his chores so he could take some time off. But I would argue him on that one. He made you want to come to work, made it enjoyable, treated you with kindness and love, and made you feel like you were needed and appreciated.

My memories of Richard go back as far as I can remember. Back to when my parents used to work on his dairy and built-up their own herd of cows. I would go over and help feed the calves and he would show me how to tell if the calf was done drinking by putting my ear up to the bottle and listen for sucking air. I remember the old brown pick-up and he’d pulled down the middle arm rest for me to sit on so I could see out the window then strap the seat belt across my lap and we’d go get cherry limeades at sonic over in Sabetha. Then growing up we’d occasionally stop by and say hi and I’d always leave with a Pepsi, or some other kind of pop he’d keep in the barn fridge. At age 14 I started working and except for a few years where I was living other places it was my most steady & fun job ever. The memories from those 11 years are countless and I will always hold them close to my heart. Then up to the last few months of giving him his last few hair cuts and retelling numerous stories, and then to the last few days when I'd sit by his bed and read the Bible and just be with him. Every moment was a precious one. 

He lived a life many of us might say we wished we would’ve lived. Or if your young like me, we can be so thankful for people like Richard to pattern and set our lives after. He knew what was important and necessary and he pursued it. He didn’t waste his time on useless things or places. Especially when he knew his life was numbered. He spent more time with the people he loved and doing what he loved, in his hometown.

This is only a fraction of who Richard was and who he has been in my life. He has left a lasting legacy and one that has impacted my life and no doubt all our lives, in tremendous ways. He will not be forgotten.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Back in Kansas | week 1