Weeks 20 & 21 | Uganda

The power is out. 
No water in the guesthouse. 
The car is broke down.
Our food is almost gone. 
The gas for our cook stove is nervously low.
This was Sunday afternoon in Bukeka town. And you know what? I love it. Every single bit of it. 
We stroll down to where our car was parked, small talking it with the neighbor kids in our small amount of Luganda, wave at a girl walking by with a feed sack as her skirt, loving how many people we know as we walk through town, receive sweet potatoes from mama Jacinta. 
Life is normal in Bukeka. And as much as I'm thankful for that, it scares me how much I've come to grow to love this place. I was gone for 3 days and my heart ached for my people and place at Suubi. Like when did this happen? 

My month of visitors has now passed. And how it flew by. How I love introducing my family and friends to the people that mean the most to me this side and the place that has changed my life. After mom and dad left on the 6th, 3 of my cousins came for 2 weeks. The idea of us spending our annul single cousin trip in Africa would have been laughed at by many if you would've told us that a year ago. And when I was moving over here, I kind of jokingly but kind of serious told them to come visit me I didn't really think it would actually happen. But somehow it did and they sacrificed their jobs and Christmas gatherings to come spend time with me. What fun we had. They helped do some projects around school, loved on the kids a whole lot, did some Christmas baking, tubed the Nile (and got burnt to a crisp in the process), went on our "cousin trip" to Murchison Falls National Park, and left a big hole in the hearts of us at Suubi when they left. 


Murchison Falls from the top. The biggest and most powerful water fall I've ever seen. As I stood at the top of it getting soaked by the mist, infatuated by the brightness of the rainbow my mind just can't comprehend the majestic nature of our God. 



I will never get tired of Elephants. 


The highlight of the game drive was getting to see lions. They are so hard to spot amidst all the brush and grasses. But the keen eye of our guide was able to spot them out and we got to see 4 young male lions just hanging out. Best day. 



Oh girls, thank you so much for coming. This will be a time we'll never forget ever. 



We started with the white water tubing and decided it wasn't enough so we floated right into the extreme tubing. Always worth it. 
Looking back at the pictures from the day on the river was just way to funny and I think we will laugh about it for days to come. 



The day finally came that my Matooke, Konza, was ready to be harvested. It was a long wait from last August when I planted this plantain to now be eaten. But the wait was worth it. Its too bad plantain doesn't grow at home, because I have now become an expert in preparing it. Boiled or mashed. 














It was a huge bunch and probably weighed 80lb. Good thing I had a lot of friends to share it with.

Eli, or Taata Rocky, the best brother around.  


So thankful for the friendship of these two beautiful souls keeping me sane most days. 
Nkwagala nnyo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Tribute to Richard

Back in Kansas | week 1