Back in Kansas | week 1

Yes, I'm home. 

Yes, I miss Bukeka.

Yes, I'm cold.

Yes, I miss it.

Yes, it went fast.

Yes, I learned a lot.

No, I won't be able to explain it all right now. 

One of my friends on the other side thought it was funny how I numbered my weeks while I was in Uganda, but then he suggested I should do the same thing when I get back home too. Praising God for the most incredible past 7 months and also for the safe journey back home on Tuesday. 

You know I am praising Jesus so much, my first week at home couldn't have gone better. I was nervous and anxious about coming home, and still am a little with the weeks ahead. But God has been so faithful to me. I'm 100% confidant its the prayers prayed on my behalf with this transition. Yes I'm lonely for my kids and all that Suubi was to me, but so far the transition home has been so smooth. Maybe it helps that I could jump right back into working, and that I got to come home to two of my siblings who had become Christians when I was away. Yes there are things I'll work through and the change of cultures will always be hard. It was hard when I arrived in Uganda and it is coming back to the way things are in the states. But I need to focus on the beauty of the differences. It's been a bit to process though, coming home. It seems like I'm in a dream or everything that just happened in the last 7 months seems like a blur. But one of the best things I've found to cope with this overwhelming feeling is to talk about it. If you start asking me about it I just might not stop. But ask specific questions. Not questions like 'what did you learn?' or how has your perspective changed?' That won't work, narrow it down to a specific topic. :)

Many things happened in my last week at Suubi while we all said farewell, but midst the tears we had some wonderful laughs and memorable moments. I've included many pictures of the week.

 
My sweet sweet girls. Each of these girls has a story most of us can't even imagine, to be 9-12 years old and to go through as much as they have would leave one hopeless, unloved, and in destitute. Of which I've seen in  many cases. My heart can hardly hold enough love for these girls. To be able to be their "auntie Leigha" and somehow mentor them is the greatest privilege. We won't go into details about what happened after this picture was taken.
It was told to me later that the evening I left, the campus was unusually quiet, there was so bedtime songs or prayers in the girls dorm and lights when out early. My heart could've broke.  
Leaving Suubi might have been the hardest thing I've ever done. Sunday and Monday many tears were shed that I didn't know I even had in me. 
The love that I feel and the bond that the Father has allowed me to have with these special people is so dear and precious to me, sometimes I don't even feel worthy of these relationships. 
Everything was not always fine, things were not always easy, a lot of things didn't go as planned. But the relationships that came out of the messiness was the best and most beautiful thing I could've hoped for and wanted. To see God work in the most unusual ways. To show His power and glory to a small girl in Kansas in a place 8000 miles away from home. It's something, I know that will have an impact on my life forever, but will I completely understand everything...? Probably not. 

Mama Calvin or Sumiya, one of the matrons for the girls dorm. She is a sweet and precious friend. 

The best friendships

Oh this little guy, the youngest little student at school at just 3 years old. He was just so excited to be able to come to school. 


Little baby Martha. 

Last worship team practice and I tied Jackson's shirt so he could be part of the knotted shirt club. 

Eli, the best Muganda brother there ever was. To many memories and laughs with him to count, but the best is probably all the rat hunting we did. 

A few of the new little boys enjoying their Sunday lunch of rice and beans. One of the dishes I miss already!

Visited the  source of the Nile on Sunday afternoon. Beautiful relaxing place with lots of moneys. 

My two favorite guys headed down to the kitchen to get dinner. Hafizu always has to be first in line. 

Baby Clara. There was four babies born to Suubi staff members while I was there and I loved watching them grow the past few months. 

One of my sunflowers making a decoration for Hammy's house. 

Mary, Topiesta, and Esther sang for me the sweetest farewell song on Saturday evening to which a few of us started sobbing.
On my last Sunday Haylie and I wore our Gomesi's that we had made for us. These are the traditional Ugandan dress, and thankfully Mama Bridgett was around to help us tie our sashes. It was a little toasty, but worth it.



Two groups of the kids did a special presentation in church for me. It was such a bittersweet Sunday but full of so much love and joy. 


The praise & worship team also sang for me a song which once again left me with wet eyes as they sang the Nigerian hymn 'Nara'. It's been a special song to all of us. 

Haylie and I also say our special song 'Thank you for being my friend' to the congregation and then knelt before them when we finished. Kneeling to greet someone is a common practice that's done within certain people groups in Uganda when you have a great respect for someone or who has authority over you. There was quite a gasp that spread through the church when this happened. 

Hammy wange. She became one of the closest friends I've ever had and her love for Jesus and reading His Words has taught me so very much. My life has been changed in so many ways because of what the Father has done and does through her. Wewunisya, Hammy. 

This makes us officially Mugandan now, right? 

Wilberforce & Esther. The traditional Ugandan wear.  A womens dress is a Gomesi and mens is a Kanzu. They are mostly worn for special occasions and the African weddings. 


We've all become quite a pair, us four. 

This dear friend, who also acquired a Ugandan name while she was there, Alinage, meaning He (God) is with me, came to visit and also make the trip home with me. Good thing or I not have ever gotten on the plane to leave myself. 


Haylie tells me about everyday the girls beg to talk to me, so with this privilege of video calling we've made it happen. But it once again made me cry all the more when they gathered on the veranda of their dorm and sang ' You are my sunshine'.  Oh how I miss them. 

Comments

  1. I miss you Mwatu wange. Hope to spend much time with you again God willing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Tribute to Richard