Back in Bukeka

My longing for this place is finally over. And oh how I've missed Bukeka and all my people here. Its a life changing place indeed. 
If you let it.  
These people are rich, I tell you. They have something we're missing and it just draws me to them. How do we become so complacent and miss out on the greatest things Jesus offers us?  
And if I'm honest with myself I really believe the biggest reason I'm here it to really learn how to be a Christian. To be set in my place. To honestly believe in the power of prayer. 
And my prayer is that I can pass this on. The moments God reveals to me. 

A common build of  house in the village
 Seeing my dear friends and the children nearly made my heart burst with happiness. The sights, smells, orange roads, calls of mzungu, I thought I couldn't smile any bigger.

The road/path to the school from the guesthouse

Brick making is a common business in the village
 Bukeka is a large village about a 1 1/2 hour drive from the capital city, Kampala and about a 30 min drive from Jinja an other large town in Uganda where the mouth of the Nile is located. Bukeka is about 73% Muslim and is in deep poverty. But you see people slowly realizing they can do more with what they have. Brick houses with tin roofs going up. Children are going to school. And with medical care so near now and can visit regularly if needed. Foot paths are being turned into boda boda(motorcycle) roads and then into passable vehicle roads. 

The view from the bottom of the Suubi compound looking west
The common vegetation you see here is, plantain, coffee, corn, cassava, banana, pineapple, jackfruit, sugar cane & avocados. It is very green and lush as you can see. 
Nile River

School children enjoying their school lunch of porridge 
 In case you don't know, people here are just the same as you. They are no less or better, richer or poorer than westerns. We are all human. Equal in the sight of the Father. We all struggle and wrestle with the same temptations. We all feel pain and joy the same. We all have the same doubts and rejoice over the same things. We can all worship the same God...at the same time. He chases after and leaves the 99 for everyone of His people. 

If its below 72 degrees this is a common scene 
 In only couple weeks of being here I've heard many testimonies of Gods faithfulness and provision He has shown to His people here. I hope to share some soon. I could probably write a book...or 5. About things that we can't even comprehend or think to be real. But it makes me wonder if we just don't take the time to really thank God for always providing for us or notice the little ways He saves us from something. Because any little thing He does for us or opportunity He puts in our path is worth sharing! Can we truly from the bottom of our hearts grasp what He has done for us? We cannot be afraid or stupid for sharing the small things God brings us through. He wants us to share His goodness. He needs us to. Someone needs to hear!

Waiting in line at the Suubi Medical clinic 
 How are we letting the opportunities in our life become living testimonies? How am I using my talents or gifts for Gods glory? How am I using something I have to bring glory to my God? 

New friends 
God is at work in so many ways in this community and at Global Hands of Hope and I feel so humbled and privileged to see and be a part of this work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to Richard

Back in Kansas | week 1

Changes