Week 17 | Uganda - move mountains

As much as I love my village of Bukeka along the Nile river, the mountains of eastern Uganda do something to a person. I don't know if its the scenery, the beautiful people, or the cool weather. But after spending 3 days that side interacting with a few villages in the Mbale district, coming back home and letting everything sink in, has me thinking deep thoughts that I don't really know what to do with.  

Everyday I'm posed with the questions in my head; to what purpose am I in Africa, and what exactly is God going to do with all this. Why did He call me among so many? What is it that He wants to teach me in this journey? How am I supposed to share this with the people I can influence? Will this change of the life of someone? How is the Father glorified in my life right now? 
Like whats going to happen with all this? As I'm studying the book of Zechariah right now, a dear friend made this point: "God has continued to fulfill His Word as He has promised it. If something has yet to be fulfilled, we can be assured that He will see that it comes to pass."

Among all these questions that I have and the questions I get asked most often the reply you will get from me is simply "I don't know". I don't, but in the midst of it all, I gain so much confidence in this word of God that what He starts He will finish and the results will only be glorious.   

One thing I know is that I cannot do this, what I have been called to, alone. What I can do alone is throw a stone of the mountain path for someone. But together we can move a mountain. We can change the lives of so many people when we work together. And I can assure you that not only their will change but yours as well. Your heart will start shifting in ways you never thought possible.
I know that I am part of someone else's vision and how God worked that is still a wondrous mystery to me. And then to see how God has brought people behind me to support and provide for me in amazing ways is humbling beyond words.     

What mountain are you needing help moving or is there a mountain that someone else needs help moving?

We need community, people! There is nothing God has called us to alone. We are meant to walk beside each other, to carry the burdens together. Not only is it healthy and good for our souls, but this is how we can show Christ in the most real way. When its messy and we dive right in a pull each other through the mud and the mire. This is how we live out love. This is how we can move mountains. Its been so needful for me to step back and realize just how many people are watching my life on the daily and how I'm going to move. Will it be in love and putting myself into those vulnerable positions like Jesus? How we as Christians interact with one another in a loving way is the most effective way to show Christ to those who are searching. 

It took a group of people from different villages in Uganda to help remove the mountains around my heart. They broke them down and some how they've entered my heart and shown Jesus to me when I thought I was supposed to here for them.  God has used the most unlikely events to change my heart and I hope someday I can put it into words more clearly. Its been said over and over again, but when you're sent to be a blessing to someone else, you end up being the one blessed instead.
And so it's my desire and I want to believe that the things that Uganda has taught me I can then pass this along to everyone I meet or speak to down the road.

   
For many of the people in Bududa, they had never seen white people and they live in extreme poverty along the Mt Elgon mountain range. 

As already captioned by Haylie - "Muscles, Maxi skirts, in Mbale town". 


Powerful waterfalls are all over these mountains

I never imagined to find the most beautiful place on this earth, but my friends, I think I have.

Our home for the day and night. Originally a mud house that has recently been plastered with cement, but I feel like I can kinda say I've stayed in a mud house. 

Our incredible host- Uncle George and his lovely sweet wife

The view from where we stayed. There is a crater on the top of this mountain and I hear the view from the top is simply breathtaking. But its a hard 3-4 hour hike to the top. And believe it or not, there are villages at the top too.  

Gwava (sp?) a delicious fruit 

Mountain, coffee village

 The reason we went to this part of the country was to find the most vulnerable children in the area and next term bring to Suubi, so they can receive sponsorship, education, medical care and a safe environment for them to thrive.   
The scenery might be stunning here, but these mountains experience devastating mud slides during the rainy season more than any other part of Uganda.  
"How great is His goodness, and how great is His beauty" - Zechariah 9:17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Back in Kansas | week 1

Tribute to Richard